Hi Everyone! 🙂
Here is my blog I wrote for London360 about the Q&A session from Voice Over Artist Gina Mellote in October 2015:
Voice-over artist Gina Mellote visited the Media Trust in West London on the 12th October 2015. She gave a Questions & Answers session with London360 Multimedia Genius Trainee Journalists.
Gina started her career in 1994 at MTV as an intern in the Production Department based in London. She did some free work doing voice over work whilst at MTV and hasn’t looked back ever since.
She has worked with the likes of the BBC, BAFTA, Marks & Spencer’s and Smooth Radio. She does get mistaken for voice-over artist Emma Clarke who does the pre-recorded messages on the London Underground.
Gina does get recognised for her work because when she was at an Ireland versus England Rugby Match in Dublin one of the fans heard her. She also once heard her own voice when answering a PPI Call which she did a job to voice-over for.
During the session Gina gave some really interesting pieces of advice on how to do well as a voice-over artist:
- You should never whisper because it is never good for you and you need to protect your voice.
- You should try not to go out every night and shout and scream too much. Also by not drinking too much helps protect your voice.
- It is okay to insure your voice if you want to. For example, Gina has lost her voice three times over 12 years but hasn’t got an insurance policy yet.
- Always speak well. This is called received pronunciation and will help you.
- Finally, if you want to be self-employed it does have good freedom but you have to keep on going.
Towards the end of the session we went through our voice-over audio with Gina. She listened to my radio audio which I did with the Bauer Academy and said that I just need to be more confident. I took on her advice and will apply it to any future work that need voice-overs on.
Before Gina left, she mentioned that she would love to one day have a role in an animation. I feel that she would be able to do that despite not being a trained actress.