Hi Everyone! 🙂
I did this list for London360 in September 2015 about Richard Shoyemi:
Richard Shoyemi is a Fashion Stylist from Shoreditch in East London. He visited the Media Trust in West London to give a Masterclass to London360 Multimedia Trainee Journalists on how to succeed in the Fashion Industry.
He gives ten pieces of advice on how to succeed in Fashion:
- You are a brand yourself. Always look at yourself and how you look is important.
- Check out a wide variety of Fashion Magazines and Fashion sections in Newspapers. Richard’s favourite magazine is the Italian Vogue because it is not boring and it is diverse.
- Always remember when working with celebrities that they have their own styles. You need to understand what they want and try to get the best of both worlds.
- Love what you do even though at times this can be very hard. However, you must persevere.
- Always deliver what is best for your client’s brand and remember that you have a lot of people to answer to.
- Dedication is the key to success and always be on the ball because styling in Fashion is like drawing a cartoon.
- If you can’t get certain accessories when doing a Fashion Shoot (be it for TV, Radio, Magazine, etc.) you have to be creative and create your own.
- Get as much inspiration as possible because you never know that it might be used in a future Fashion Shoot. For example, one of Richard’s Shoots was in a Graveyard on Halloween. His inspiration for this was when he was driving through a Forest.
- Richard mentions about hating on trends and tells us that to succeed you have to become the trend.
- Remember that the camera always picks up everything. Even though re-touching photographs are costly you must perfect it no matter what before releasing them to magazines, newspapers and websites.
“There is nothing wrong to express yourself.”
Feel free to share.