Hi Everyone! 🙂
Here is my list I did for London360 in October 2015 about Public Speaker Naomi Sesay:
Naomi Sesay is an Author, Professional Speaker and Wealth Creator who visited the Media Trust in West London on the 7th October 2015. She gave a session on the power of public speaking to London360 Multimedia Genius Trainee Journalists.
Here are her top ten pieces of advice on how to be a powerful public speaker:
- Body Language is 55% of communication. This is so important as is your image, presence, poise and projection. From the moment you leave the door of your house you are on stage.
- Your voice is also important. This is because people can detect a lot of things from it. Words, articulation, vernacular and projection are also important too. Did you know that on average we only use 500 words to describe our day?
- Remember that people like people who are like themselves. Having a common language also helps.
- Having a strong verbal language can help you become stronger. Things like register, timbre (tone) and prosody (melody) are very useful. Not forgetting your pace, pitch and volume can help too.
- When public speaking:
- Know your subject.
- Know your audience.
- Know your style.
- Silence is a powerful tool and use it to your advantage. By moving across the stage/room will also keep your audience focused on you.
- Having an identity is key. Remember these questions:
- Who are you?
- What do you believe in?
- How do you see yourself?
- How do you think others see you?
- Make sure that your public identity and personal identity are completely separate from each other.
- Be unique, be confident and be true to yourself.
- Finally, there are different levels of leadership. These are:
- Self Leadership.
- Community Leadership.
- Servant Leadership.
- Call to Action.
- Movement & Tribes.
Feel free to share.